In 1925 Arthur (Otto) and Josephine (Stage Name Ethye) Miller, From the “Marvelous Miller” Ballroom Dancing Team who had danced around the world, retired and purchased a lodge on what is now the Sunrise Highway in Bay Shore and named it “Marvelous MIller’s Lodge”. At that time, the lodge was used as a summer resort and consisted of twelve bedrooms, two with private baths, and two others with full baths. Otto and Josephine ran the lodge.
The attic was converted into sleeping quarters set up as a dormitory accommodating twelve beds which were rented to construction men who were working on the Pilgrim State Hospital project being built then.
Josephine and daughter, Ruth, prepared brown bag lunches of sandwiches, fruit, cake, or cookies and coffee to be taken out by the workers. The men were served meals for breakfast and supper. Weekends they went home to their families. This routine lasted about two years.
The Jon Thomas Inne has been a Long Island landmark since 1925. Formally The Old Heidelberg, the Jon Thomas Inne is known for our two quality private rooms and outstanding food.
The Jon Thomas Inne
91 Howell’s Road
Brightwaters, NY 11718
Telephone #: 631-666-2060
Fax #: 631-666-2003
12-12 Sun – Thurs | 11-1am Fri & Sat
11-1 Sun – Thurs | 11-2am Fri & Sat
Please contact us for reservations.